Popular children’s toy pulled from shelves for containing ‘deadly poison’

A magnetic putty intended as a toy for children has been pulled from shop shelves because it contains seven times the legal dose of deadly arsenic.

It was removed from sale after fears kids could be poisoned if they got the substance on their hands – or worse, swallowed.

Northamptonshire Trading Standards found the product when they visited a market stall in the county.

They found the Magnetic Putty contained a bag of putty and a small cube magnet on the stands.

But tests showed seven times the acceptable level of arsenic had been used to make it.

The authority also said the magnet was 29 times above the permitted magnet force and had twice the amount of lead allowed.

It was also concerned that its size meant it could be “easily swallowed”.

The product was labeled as not suitable for children aged up to three years – but it did not include a CE kite mark to show it complied with the uk’s safety requirements for toys.

It was also not clear who the manufacturer or importer was.

Trading Standards said: “The lack of these details indicated that a proper safety assessment of the toy may not have been made and makes tracing and removal of the product from sale slower and more difficult.”

The team emphasised it was just this specific product that had been removed and not all magnetic putties.